Skip to main content

Eulogizing Bruce

A photograph of Bill's grave from Findagrave.com.
I leave for Hawaii Wednesday. On Sunday I will have the opportunity to eulogize one of my two Marines by his grave in Hawaii. The honor becomes clearer as I get closer to this date. 

You may remember from an earlier post that Bruce is one of only six Pennsylvania veterans of the Korean War buried in Hawaii's National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. Six seems like an awfully small number for a conflict that claimed a total of 2,401 lives from my state. (You can see a listing of all casualties, by state, at this Archives website.) To understand why this is so, I draw on what I learned from Lauren's research and the Normandy Institute. 

In World Wars I and II the next of kin for deceased American soldiers were offered a choice for their loved one's remains: interment overseas in a U.S. cemetery or repatriation to the U.S. If brought back to the U.S., that serviceman may be buried by the family or a U.S. cemetery here. This policy was the result of a compromise, struck in World War I and maintained in World War II. The majority of families, in World War II at least, opted to have their loved ones repatriated. 

In the Korean War, the situation for America's deceased changed quite a bit. The shifting nature of the war, and its uncertain end, motivated to return all bodies to the United States. Bruce's family was offered the choice for his permanent burial: return to the family or burial in a U.S. Cemetery. 

First Division Marines salute fallen comrades who were buried after the escape from Chosin. 

I find this part of the story particularly compelling. Bruce was killed on November 29 in what is now North Korean territory. Before evacuating to near the 38th parallel, the First Marines buried their fallen in a temporary grave. Files from the National Archives even indicate exactly where Bruce was buried at first. The detail the Marines took here for a temporary grave strikes me in a profound way. 

You'll note that the record indicates the Marine buried beside him as well. According to Findagrave, PFC Kitchens is buried at a church cemetery on North Carolina. 

Paperwork indicating the precise location of Bruce's temporary grave. 

Bruce's first resting place was behind enemy lines. His wife was promptly notified of his death, but had no means of recovering his body at that time. 

And so the war came. And ended, mercifully, in 1953.

In 1954, the Marines notified Bruce's family that his remains had been recovered and positively identified. By this point, however, Bruce's widow had remarried. Next-of-kin rights reverted to his parents, who requested that he be buried in Hawaii at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. According to them, this was Bruce's wish. 

It's likely no one from the family has ever visited his grave. One communication from his widow indicated that the family would not be able to attend his funeral in Hawaii. I'm surmising that the age of his parents precluded them from attending it. Bruce's children were young - 10, 8, and 6 - at the time of his funeral and younger still at the time of his death. I have no indication whether or not they ever visited their dad's grave.  

Therefore, I might be the one visitor from home paying their respects to Bruce. 

- - - 

In the World War II era the majority of families asked for their loved ones to be returned to home. Based on the records I have from the Punchbowl, it would seem the majority wanted the same in Korea, too. Before school ended I was sharing some of my findings from Bruce's file with a friend at school, a friend who happens to be a Marine Mom (her son is currently serving as Marine Infantry). She said it made sense that the parents would opt for burial with his comrades and she could see how a parent would view this choice differently than a widow. Though anecdotal, I think her comment is helpful. 

After all, it's consistent with the story from Bill's family. Lauren's soldier was buried overseas after a compromise was struck between the grieving widow and the grieving parents. It's also consistent with the public stance taken by the Roosevelt family in World War I, when the former president and his wife insisted that their son, Quentin, be buried where the foeman laid him. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those whom we honored (the final eulogies)

The chapel interior at Luxembourg American Cemetery. Most of us on the trip completed research for soldiers buried at Luxembourg American Cemetery. It's situated right outside of Luxembourg City and it receives a good number of visitors every year. The fact that General George Patton is buried there has something to do with their high visitorship. In fact, the initial attempt to bury him along with the soldiers failed when the foot traffic to his grave wore out the grass. Patton's grave now sits by itself near the top of the hill at the cemetery, near the chapel and tablets of the missing. Suzy's soldier. Six of us delivered eulogies that day: five teachers and Kaat. When I had the chance to listen to students' eulogies back in 2017, I was struck by how something of each student's character worked itself into the story they told. I still get a bit of a sense of that with eulogies delivered by teachers. However, the element that works itself more powerfull

Some Thoughts on Liberation

One of the markers placed by the French and Belgian governments to mark the path of the liberators.  My greatest takeaway from this most recent trip involves some refined feelings about liberation. I'm writing this post in a time of high cynicism. And the were matters of which one could be cynical back in 1944, the year in which Charlie fought and died. This trip, however, left me with renewed appreciation for what our country did back in that war, helping me refocus on what I've had the chance to see and do the past few years. Christopher is the military historian who accompanied us on this voyage. In one of our webinars this spring, he made an offhand reference to a piece of scholarship about the Holocaust he said was worth reading. It's entitled Bloodlands: Europe between Hitler and Stalin. It's heavy. I can't say I read every chapter. But I read most of it on our bus rides this summer. And I'm glad I did. My unassigned reading. Saying that Bloo

Eulogizing Charlie

By Charlie's graveside in Luxembourg.  You may find the eulogy I wrote for Charlie interesting. I have it copied here. The marker by which we stand today identifies Staff Sergeant Charles F. Simcox, Jr., as a hero who gave his life in service to our nation. Before entering the service, his family knew him as Charlie. To this day they keep the memory of Charlie, or Uncle Charlie, alive. Many of the members of this closely-knit group still live near West Chester, Pennsylvania, where Simcox grew up. They have not grown apart in the decades of peace and prosperity that Simcox’s service and sacrifice made possible.    Something that I wanted to convey, but that seemed very difficult to convey, was the joyous and warm sense of his family. When I reached out to them this winter, they were more than happy to meet with me. I felt like something of a guest of honor. And so many of them came out to meet me that I lost track of who was who. A warmly receptive family isn't a