Skip to main content

La Cambe

Some grave markers and crosses at La Cambe. 

I’m struggling to find the right words to describe La Cambe, the German War Cemetery we visited in Normandy. Perhaps I can start with some context.

The Treaty of Versailles stipulated that German war dead would not be repatriated. Their burial and cemeteries would be subject to the control of the French people. Those provisions still applied at the end of World War II. France buried Germany’s dead. In the late 1950s, France negotiated a new treaty with Germany that transferred ownership of the cemeteries to a German commission for the war dead. That commission (not a part of government) now administers the cemeteries.

From the German Cemetery at LaCambe

La Cambe is a somber place. From what I understand, the design of the cemetery began with Nazi planners who, during the war, conceived of places where their victorious fallen heroes could be memorialized. La Cambe obviously does not employ the overt Nazi symbolism contained in those original plans. Where a swastika might have been perched atop a central mound (a tumulus, really), there is now a Christian cross flanked by the figure of a mourning father and a mourning mother.

The tumulus contains the remains of many unknown German fallen as well as some who seem like high-ranking casualties of the war.

An inscription at the tumulus.

View from the top of the tumulus.

Interrupting the graves at regular patterns are sets of five crosses. Each set of five crosses oversees a plot of forty graves, though not every plot has such a set. The sets alternate. From a distance, the crosses look like formations marching.

Some sort of lava-esque rock is used for the monuments.




There are quite a few trees. An earthen fence (like a hedgerow) surrounds the cemetery. Some students thought it was dark and oppressive. I prefer the word somber.

Soldiers aren’t buried individually. They’re buried in pairs or even threes. Rank, date of death, identity (known and unknown) are buried together. Plain plaques like flat in the ground identifying the soldier name and dates of birth and death.



How do people memorialize the fallen youth from a war that ends in defeat? How does one mourn those lost and buried on soil that had been conquered but then lost? How does one memorialize the fallen (sons, brothers, uncles, friends, husbands) who died for cause long considered odious and offensive to the sensibilities of man?

A lecture in Washington prepared me for this, so it’s inaccurate to say that this site moved me more than I expected. But had you asked me one month ago that I would find this the most haunting part of my trip, I wouldn’t have believed you. But my brief stop at La Cambe might be the experience that gnaws at me more than any other.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Thoughts on Liberation

One of the markers placed by the French and Belgian governments to mark the path of the liberators.  My greatest takeaway from this most recent trip involves some refined feelings about liberation. I'm writing this post in a time of high cynicism. And the were matters of which one could be cynical back in 1944, the year in which Charlie fought and died. This trip, however, left me with renewed appreciation for what our country did back in that war, helping me refocus on what I've had the chance to see and do the past few years. Christopher is the military historian who accompanied us on this voyage. In one of our webinars this spring, he made an offhand reference to a piece of scholarship about the Holocaust he said was worth reading. It's entitled Bloodlands: Europe between Hitler and Stalin. It's heavy. I can't say I read every chapter. But I read most of it on our bus rides this summer. And I'm glad I did. My unassigned reading. Saying that Bloo

Those whom we honored (the final eulogies)

The chapel interior at Luxembourg American Cemetery. Most of us on the trip completed research for soldiers buried at Luxembourg American Cemetery. It's situated right outside of Luxembourg City and it receives a good number of visitors every year. The fact that General George Patton is buried there has something to do with their high visitorship. In fact, the initial attempt to bury him along with the soldiers failed when the foot traffic to his grave wore out the grass. Patton's grave now sits by itself near the top of the hill at the cemetery, near the chapel and tablets of the missing. Suzy's soldier. Six of us delivered eulogies that day: five teachers and Kaat. When I had the chance to listen to students' eulogies back in 2017, I was struck by how something of each student's character worked itself into the story they told. I still get a bit of a sense of that with eulogies delivered by teachers. However, the element that works itself more powerfull

About that observant fella . . .

Alan and I atop a Sherman. I often compliment my daughter on being observant (and she is!). In some ways, I'm trying to call her attention to something I wish I were better at. That is, being observant. Alan has the gift Caroline does. Two interesting examples of it. While trying to find dinner one night in Paris, Alan caught a sign written in French that said something-something about the times of Christ. Turns out, it was a pathway to an ancient Roman arena where gladiator matches might have once taken place. I know. It looks like a park or courtyard. It really is a relic of the Roman era, though, right in a neighborhood in Paris. On our final night of the trip came another moment. Alan came across a pair of stumbling stones, which we weren't aware existed in Belgium. Stumbling stones are a form of remembrance for victims of the Holocaust. They are placed in locations where individuals have memory of those victims last being seen. These were relatively